...

...

Sonntag, 4. Dezember 2011

Let's watch.. ..The Shop around the Corner (1940)

You should know this: I am an avid Ernst Lubitsch fan.

There is at least one film of his I watch every year around christmas time:


THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER (1940)

Budapest, 1930s: Alfred Kralik (James Stewart) works as a clerk in the shop of Hugo Matuschek (Frank Morgan). He writes letters to a young lady. Around christmas time he finds out that she is his new colleague Klara Novak (Margaret Sullavan) who doesn't know who her penfriend is either. He can't stand her - apparently a mutual feeling - till now..

~ Dear friends? James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan. ~


I don't know if this film is a so called "christmas classic" - as I said: I watch it every year around this time - and I love it. It is one of my favourite films. It is based on a play by Miklós László that it is based on a play is very obvious for most of the story is set in the shop - and the characters are few but quite well portrayed.

The additional cast is marvellous: We have so many of my favourites - who are just wonderful - no matter if comedy or tragedy they were able to do it - very versatile actors indeed: Frank Morgan, Felix Bressart, Joseph Schildkraut, Charles Smith, William Tracy, Inez Courtney and Sara Haden.

Actually I love the whole cast! Margaret Sullavan is also a wonderful actress - who sadly would die very young (I will spare you more facts about her.. this is after all not meant to turn out a Miss Sullavan fan post..) - and I think I don't have to say a word about James Stewart at all..

THis film is not only a comedy - it also has some very grave parts:

Hugo Matuschek suspects his wife (who never appears on screen..) to be unfaithful, the clerks are afraid to loose their jobs - so much that they are careful what they say about their boss when their co-workers are around, there is even an attempted suicide (a very well done scene just by the way..) - all that hardly topics for light comedies. Maybe I might call this film a "melo-comedy"..

~ maybe my favourite "couple" in this film: Frank Morgan and Charles Smith. ~


There are at least two remakes - if you can call them remakes - for as I said originally it was a play:

The first one is IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME (1949) with Judy Garland and Van Johnson in the lead - and an amazing additional cast: Buster Keaton, Spring Byington, S.Z. Sakall and Clinton Sundberg. - Even Charles Smith appears here again. It also features little Liza Minnelli.. It has only a small scene set on christmas - and it is moved to a music shop in Chicago around 1900.. It's actually more of a blitheful musical - I love that one, too..

The newest version might be YOU'VE GOT MAIL (1998) - which I find horrible - though it is set in bookshops in New York..

I just prefer the classic versions..

And finally I'd like to say:

Thank you, who you work in shops around all the corners of the world for all your patience during our christmas shopping sessions!

Thank you - and I hope that some of your customers know this film - and give you a little smile or a nice word now and then!

~ getting ready for christmas business:
Inez Courtney, James Stewart, William Tracy, Sara Haden and Felix Bressart. ~

Hope you're enjoying the show!

Yours (very well and truly

Irene

6 Kommentare:

  1. I love this movie! And I even like the remakes. Though I can understand why you wouldn't like You've Got Mail.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I love this movie; it's one of my favorite holiday films.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Ah, The Shop Around the Corner. A true classic holiday film. Great choice Irene. I wasn't even closing when guessing this earlier was I?

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. I love this movie but haven't seen it in probably 2 years. Your post has brought it to mind, so I need to do a re-watch one of these days.

    I have seen In the Good Old Summertime...didn't overly like it, but I'm not a huge Judy Garland fan, so that may be why.

    My daughter recently watched You've Got Mail. She said it was cute, but she far prefers Jimmy to Tom Hanks.

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. Thank you all for your comments!

    FionaAlanna: I am a bit sorry that I can't get into YOU'VE GOT MAIL - it just doesn't work for me. But thank you for your understanding - that's kind!

    CagneyFan: It's just great, isn't it?

    Monty: No, I'm afraid you weren't.. Thank you for liking my choice!

    Patti: Hope you enjoy it again in a re-watch session! (I would prefer James Stewart to Tom Hanks under any circumstance..) ;")

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Thank you all for your comments!

    FionaAlanna: I am a bit sorry that I can't get into YOU'VE GOT MAIL - it just doesn't work for me. But thank you for your understanding - that's kind!

    CagneyFan: It's just great, isn't it?

    Monty: No, I'm afraid you weren't.. Thank you for liking my choice!

    Patti: Hope you enjoy it again in a re-watch session! (I would prefer James Stewart to Tom Hanks under any circumstance..) ;")

    AntwortenLöschen