...

...

Sonntag, 22. Januar 2012

Let's watch.. ..DARK PASSAGE

One of my favourite Humphrey Bogart films is 


DARK PASSAGE (1947)

Vincent Parry (Humphrey Bogart) escapes from St. Quentin prison. He is convicted of killing his wife. Irene Jansen (Lauren Bacall) picks him up and helps him. 



There are of course some more compliacations in the plot - but I think this is the main plot. 
The main twist in this film is more one of the film making kind: Because Vincent is on the run he has to change his face - a job done in the film by a friendly surgeon (Houseley Stevenson). The twist: for about an hour you are not able to see Humphrey Bogart's face. The first part of the movie is almost completely done in his point of view - done so by using subjective camera technique. Then Vincent will wear his head bandaged - before we will finally see his "new" face.. 



This film is worth a look just because of this way of looking through a characters eyes. The other main cause for me is: Agnes Moorehead. I love her. She is one of my number one favourite actresses. (@ Patti: I have three #1 female actresses..) Her acting is - as always - one of the finest ever done. 




Lauren Bacall looks as pretty and cool as always - and Humphrey Bogart is doing a wonderful job - especially when his character isn't able to say anything because of his bandaged head and he has do the acting "just" with his eyes and body..

Anyway: I really recommend this film to you!

Hope you're enjoying the show!

Yours

Irene

3 Kommentare:

  1. I LOVE "Dark Passage." It's a 5-star film for me. Without question, it's my favorite of the Bogey/Bacall films. I think they exhibit a real tenderness to each other in that film.

    Oh, yes, that first-person way of filming was so neat.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Yes.. It's my favourite Bogart/Bacall film, too.. ;")

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Oh yes. Love dark Passage. Bonus is Agnes Moorehead.

    AntwortenLöschen